A look at the map convinced me that, indeed, Boston would not be a good
idea when less than a week is available between Washington and
Baltimore. Baltimore and Philadelphia/Maryland and New Jersey, should
have plenty to whet my appetite.

Talking about food and music: Why should I listen to a scratchy Ken
Griffin, when there is the alternative of a mint Charles-Marie Widor or
Jimmy Smith?
Music critics mostly know what they are talking about, restaurant
critics mostly don’t.

I am aware of the ZAGAT guides, they can be useful but I am not overly
impressed. Like TRIPADVISOR, they collect and “analyse” whatever they
can find in the www. Consequently they have little to say about “fine
dining” and rather recommend bars offering triple sandwiches, with
sports on TV, after having noted customer postings on the internet.

  It is my sad experience that culinary critics, even those who publish
in very renowned newspapers, are just journalists who write up
restaurants for a free meal, they are not professional experts in wine,
or in preparing food. As well, “servers” are often of little help:
untrained students who depend on tips to survive. Experienced head
waiters or somelliers are rare as hens’ teeth.

  Therefore, I depend on personal recommendations from people who know,
and care. I have found TRULY EXCELLENT restaurants all over the US, the
hard task is to find them. The ARSC community has proven to be very
helpful.

  Rainer

--
Dr. Rainer E. Lotz