This is my first e-mail to this list. Hello everyone!

I am helping to run a class musicology project for the 8th graders at Marin
Country Day School.
The kids are using recordings from the Great Depression to understand the
time period.
One of them has a version of GOING DOWN THE ROAD FEELING BAD.  It is a song
that has been used often by many different musicians over the years.  I was
wondering if anyone had any knowledge about where the song originally came
from (and writer). On line, we can get as far back as 1917....

Here is the version we are working with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnfhpiQDQzM

Thanks!

David Katznelson