On 4/4/2018 5:42 PM, David Katznelson wrote:
> This is my first e-mail to this list. Hello everyone!
>
> I am helping to run a class musicology project for the 8th graders at Marin
> Country Day School.
> The kids are using recordings from the Great Depression to understand the
> time period.
> One of them has a version of GOING DOWN THE ROAD FEELING BAD.  It is a song
> that has been used often by many different musicians over the years.  I was
> wondering if anyone had any knowledge about where the song originally came
> from (and writer). On line, we can get as far back as 1917....

According to the Traditional Nallad Index, The earliest known recording
was by Henry Whitter; he recorded it in 1923 for OKeh, though it was
issued in 1924.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0RUcnbpqI

On the Whitter record, authorship credit was given to "Austin-Mills".
What is your 1917 source?

The Ballad Index entry is here:

http://www.fresnostate.edu/folklore/ballads/LxU072.html

Peace,
Paul Stamler

> Here is the version we are working with:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnfhpiQDQzM
>
> Thanks!
>
> David Katznelson

---