This may not applicable to your situation, but in the 1970s I was tasked
with the job of copying JFK's private (secret) Dictabelts of his
telephone calls from the Oval Office [his other secret recordings were
on 1/4" tape so easy to master]

We were able to rent an analog Dictabelt recorder/player (the JFK
Library had both of JFK's but they were inoperable) and we immediately
ran into the crease problem.  I found that a prolonged soak in hot water
relaxed the plastic of the belts and removed the crease to enable us to
get smooth recordings to master onto tape. (Also cleaned the grooves in
the analog recordings)

Allan Goodrich