THX to John Haley for the original link!

As one who started in the recording industry when vacuum tubes were
still in use (Late 1960's), I can honestly say: "Been there, done that."
I have edited many a click and pop from audio tape. And, I used some of
his methods for Forensics and Restoration from that era. As equipment
became available, mostly single ended noise reduction, I employed it's
use as well. I was fascinated by just how much Mr. Davies methods were
the same as editing magnetic film ( Wiping oxide from the backing and
his editing block was similar to a magnetic film "Sync Block", etc.)

Yes, things are much easier today,

Cheers!

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net