Greetings from Paris,Dip in water... I believe the problem is different today now that some Dictabelts are even more brittle... some Dictabelts were also heated by putting the whole vintage device player on an industrial hotplate, for transferring purposes... Now here is explained how I made the transfer of the 600 Nelson Mandela trial Dictabelts and treated them as actual cylinders: http://www.archeophone.org/dictabelt/windex.phpHere are two short videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRREq3v6vYand :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUMobapuSk
Made simply : when gently installed and bent  as cylinders on a mandrel of the archeophone phonograph, the dictabelts play better and one gets a very much better control on creases and other problems. Dictabelts shouldn't be bent between two rollers anymore when played and vintage players should stay in the museum cabinets. I am a civil servant working on audio digitization for the French ministries of research and education. Of course if the Hoover institution Archive is willing to try my system I can do the job for free on a single sample securely sent to my own institution in France.
Henri Chamoux
- http://www.archeophone.org : the many adventures of the Archeophone, Cnrs Crystal medal 2017.- http://www.phonobase.org : 10 000 pieces of wax, shellac and celluloid online.- http://phonobase.hypotheses.org : latest news from la phonobase.
École normale supérieure de Lyon LARHRA - UMR 51901 rue Maurice Arnoux92129 [log in to unmask]://larhra.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/membre/113
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Allan Goodrich <[log in to unmask]> Date : 08/04/2018  01:00  (GMT+01:00) À : [log in to unmask] Objet : Re: [ARSCLIST] Dictaphone Belt Digitization
This may not applicable to your situation, but in the 1970s I was tasked
with the job of copying JFK's private (secret) Dictabelts of his
telephone calls from the Oval Office [his other secret recordings were
on 1/4" tape so easy to master]

We were able to rent an analog Dictabelt recorder/player (the JFK
Library had both of JFK's but they were inoperable) and we immediately
ran into the crease problem.  I found that a prolonged soak in hot water
relaxed the plastic of the belts and removed the crease to enable us to
get smooth recordings to master onto tape. (Also cleaned the grooves in
the analog recordings)

Allan Goodrich