In the Acoustic Music Source Book filed under LONESOME ROAD BLUES (but also
referencing GOING DOWN THE ROAD FEELING BAD): it says:

"banjo player Tommy Jarrell learned the tune around 1917 from Carlie Holder"

And here is the site where I found this information:

https://books.google.com/books?id=11vTdsx_zZIC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=%22Lonesome+Road+Blues,%22+1917&source=bl&ots=ErwWDmTTSy&sig=dOuwY438kT-Yfg4tg9g9nZCsIO4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiht5GC-aHaAhUrxFQKHRoEAcsQ6AEISjAH#v=onepage&q=%22Lonesome%20Road%20Blues%2C%22%201917&f=false

Oh yeah,

David