Yes, the GE VR22. Wonderful cartridge for 78s. I still use the one I had in
junior high! Plus a couple others.

Your analysis is I think mostly correct. The arm however may be more
critical than you say. Modern arms are not built to withstand the powerful
shaking that comes with 78s, not to mention that the GE is an
ultra-low-compliance design and transfers much (if not all) of its residual
mechanical energy to the arm. This situation might also cause some of the
sonic problems you hear.

I also have some Fairchilds (#220 IIRC) formerly much used in radio
broadcast studios, but they don't seem to do the trick.

Finally I don't load the GEs with 47K, but rather feed them straight into
the first stage of the preamp (a Dynaco here).

What John Haley writes sounds plausible, but can also be solved (ahem!)
digitally. But we don't want that, do we?

Clark