The earliest recording of a complete symphony was of course that of Beethoven’s Fifth with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Arthur Nikisch and recorded on 11 November 1913. It was reissued on LP on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of The Gramophone Company in 1973 (EMI 1C 053-01 466) and has been reissued on CD several times. It is now available on YouTube etc.

Jacobus van Dijk