As with this poster to the acquisitions list serve, I find the thread interesting and relevant to some of what we all face as we try to develop stable platform for resources.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jill Emery
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 10:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ALCTS-acqnet] Sage Handbook Hosting Fee

I find this thread interesting. Librarians are willing to pay thousands of dollars to JSTOR for annual access fees on each collection they sell but not to individual publishers for single and important reference works we think are valuable to our libraries? There are infrastructure costs even with single books and server/cloud costs associated with that hosting. Librarians generally buy reference works on cycles of 2-5 year intervals. Im not sure I understand why the costs Sage are asking for are onerous.

APA charges $150 per handbook and if I remember correctly their cap is something like $1,500 or $3,000.

Would you accept this fee if it was just part of the cost of the reference work like Wiley and other publishers do?

Also, if you have other backfiles with Sage where you pay an annual access fee such as on a historical collection or on journal runs, then you've have met the $500 cap and do not have to pay on individual titles. With Sage, at least, there is a cap in the hundreds and there is transparency in what the cost supports.

Jill