From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Issues Baking a Reel-to-Reel Audiotape

John has provided good advice. 133 °F is a wee bit high. The Ampex patent states 50 or 54 °C which is 122 or 129 °F.

I routinely bake at about 50 °C for a minimum of 24 hours for 1/4-inch tape in lots of one or two.

I baked over 100 1/2-inch Ampex 406 tapes about a decade ago and putting eight in the food dehydrator at once, I had to bake the lot for 48 hours to have them playable.

How is the shedding happening? Is it falling off, or did the back coat pull off the mag coat?

Cheers,

Richard