Hi ARSC,

Tim Brooks has written a post for the ARSC Blog about the The Accessibility for Curators, Creators, Educators, Scholars and Society to Recordings Act (“ACCESS to Recordings Act”) introduced to the Senate yesterday by Ron Wyden of Oregon. The bill would replace the "CLASSICS" portion of the Music Modernization Act, now in the Senate, and would grant federal copyright protection to pre-'72 recordings, with the standard limitations and exceptions. Please read the post, and consider supporting the bill in the usual ways if you agree. Thanks Tim for the post.

http://arsc-audio.org/blog/2018/05/24/access-act/

Maybe this should be a separate thread, but I've also wanted to ask if any archives are preparing for title 1 of the MMA as written? As I understand it ("not a lawyer", etc.), it would allow archives to serve any request of previously published audio under either a blanket license or compulsory license. Is that right? While it's not the public domain we want, it does seem to me to set up a kind of paid public domain alternative, and could be a boon to access, but a challenge for scale. Thoughts?

Mason