Do not assume every instance of "Editors" or "Authors" or "Compilers" is applied blindly or unwisely.

Please be careful if removing fields, and consider each record on a case-by-case basis.  Do not remove the 374 fields for "Editors" (at least in my NARs).  I use this for technical editors whose occupation is an editor, and who edits publications in which he/she is prominently named (on the title page and cover and title page verso and citation note and bibliographical references).  In these cases, those persons work for the issuing government bodies that compile the data, do editing of the material, and make decisions on how it will be published.  These editors are not third-party "publishing house" editors.  I would prefer to use "Technical editors" but there is not LCSH term yet (although the topical field exists:    372  Technical editing ǂ2 lcsh).  In this case, I don't think it matters whether the person is called editor as a mere job title or true profession.  I found it important to apply the 374 as a means of identifying the person from others with similar or shared names, which is the purpose of the field, and I don't think we should be judging that person's job status.

I don't think it is always the fault of just an inadequate source citation, but a lack of understanding of the nature of some types of publications.  Should we input a 670 field saying "Hey, this is an important editor to us, not a stereotypical commercial/industry editor" to avoid someone else from bushwhacking records?

As for "Authors", please do not remove it just because the writer has written non-literary works.  If the person has written works in an occupation for "regular" professions, he/she may have a side-job, second job, or job in retirement as a literary writer.  So then the term "Authors" is legitimate along with other "regular" professions in 374.  The person may or may not have written while serving in those other occupations, but "Authors" will represent a different phase in the person's life.  I have had real examples of this.  Anyway, I think there should be a separate heading for "Literary authors" (for belles-lettres) since it would be more clear to the general population and to librarians--at least for the sake of NAR application.

Moreover, I have come across cases where a person is a non-literary writer, but actually writes for a living in a field that he or she is an expert in.  The person may or may not practice in the field concurrently.  In such cases, I believe 374 "Authors" is valid even if the person never writes belles-lettres.  I recently worked with an author who was known as a big advocate and writer about a particular field.  How is that person not a professional author?  But then again, this _author_ was well known for having written a large body of fiction, too, so again "Authors" applies.  The obituaries and articles emphasize both facets of her writing career.  (That a professional educator or teacher who writes in that field and also writes belles-lettres or children's readers seems to be common.)

Ed Kazzimir

ARLIS