Thanks Sue!  We’ll definitely factor this into the planning when we get ready to deal with the complex cases.

Sincerely,
Cynthia

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrews, Susan
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] 260 to 264 field conversion in RDA bibliographic records in WorldCat

Hi Cynthia,
I just wanted to make sure you were aware that Rare Book records that also include RDA descriptive standards will be coded both $e rda and $e dcrmb
Both values (not one or the other) will be present in the records.

Some of my batch transformation  concerns revolve around  cases like the following (there are many variations) where this type of wording appears  in subfield “b” of 260

Printed (or imprinted)  by X
Printed  (or imprinted) by X  for Y
Printed (or imprinted) for Y:

For an early printed book, most (but not all) rare book cataloguers would give 264 -1 (as a  publisher statement) for all three examples , some would give 264 -3 for the first example, but would usually pair it with another 264 -1 for a publisher statement.

For modern books, most non-rare book cataloguers would code at least the first example as 264 -3 (as a manufacturer statement)

So…. I guess what I am trying to say, is that if BOTH  “dcrmb”  AND  “rda” are present in 040, you might want to use a special algorithm for transforming 260s into 264s, in consultation with the rare materials community.

Cheers, Sue.

Sue Andrews
Principal Cataloguer
University of British Columbia Library
2198 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
Tel. 604-822-4995  Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>