LC practice is to record the information as “[Name of Library] in VIAF, viewed [date one looked at VIAF]”  and report the heading.  It’s an alternative to looking at said library’s online OPAC and/or authority file.  Of course it can change, and library files can (and should) change when data changes or turns out to have been in error,(do you think LC is the library where catalogers sometimes get confused?).  Any citation to an internet resource is inherently “soft” since they can change which is why one cites the resource as of a given date.

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Moore, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Sources for personal names

VIAF IDs are not stable identifiers. Whilst VIAF is a useful way in, to data that can be found in individual libraries’s authority records there, I would not make any assumption about the identity of one person, or body, based on its possibly ephemeral presence in a VIAF cluster. VIAF re-clusters all the time, sometimes wrongly.

This contrasts with ISNI, that aims to provide a stable identifier.

Regards
Richard

Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager