From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephen Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 09:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] 374 field in NARs

Another way to think about preferred 374 use would be to look at cases where a defined set of persons might be expected to carry the same 374 term, for example, U.S. presidents. Currently the majority of the U.S. presidents' personal authorities carry the LCSH term "Presidents," but more than a third do not, either because they have no 374 or because the term assigned is not "Presidents $2 lcsh".

John Adams - none
James Madison - none
Martin Van Buren - Presidents $2 itoamc
John Tyler - United States president (no $2)
William Henry Harrison - none
James Buchanan - two 374s, but none for Presidents or President
Ulysses S. Grant - Presidents (Rulers) $2 lcdgt
Chester Alan Arthur - none
Grover Cleveland - none
Theodore Roosevelt - five 374s, but none for Presidents or President
William H. Taft - President of the United States with $s and $t, no $2
Warren G. Harding - three 374s, but none for Presidents or President
Calvin Coolidge -  President of the United States with $s and $t, no $2
Herbert Hoover - four 374s, but none for Presidents or President; also 373 United States. President with $s and $t
Dwight D. Eisenhower - none
Richard M. Nixon - one 374, but none for Presidents or President
George W. Bush - United States president, no $2
Barack Obama - Presidents (Rulers) $2 lcdgt
Donald J. Trump - Presidents (Rulers) $2 lcdgt

Happily these personal authorities are all easy to collect with a browse search by their standardized "510 1 $a United States. $b President (YYYY...)"; and admittedly, doing a search on "presidents" as a Entity Attribute term in OCLC's copy of LCNAF retrieves many false hits (other countries' presidents, college presidents, etc.). But if we're concerned about greater uniformity in the way 374 terms are assigned, the list above might demonstrate just how far we are from that goal.

Stephen