Hi Dan,

Thanks for uploading the unprocessed audio sample. That really helps. Your
azimuth alignment seems pretty  good. There's a
bit of azimuth wander but that's to be expected with a slow speed
microcassette track.

Automatic solutions are not ideal. The best approach is to identify each
particular type of unwanted noise in
the recording and then attempt to remove each of them, one at a time, with a
dedicated tool.
So with that in mind...

1. Hum.
There's a mild hum with a fundamental of around 149 Hz and a total of four
or maybe five harmonics above that. Probably caused by the cassette
recorder's motor
and transport. I was able to greatly remove them with my  Acon DeHum tool.

With similar settings you should be able to do the same in RX Dehum.

2. Random noise.
Unfortunately the hum is not the main issue. As you mentioned there's a lot
of
random noise, and worse of all, right in the critical voice band. That  is
the worst
kind to remove, often impossible.  My approach is always to filter out
everything below the
lowest recorded speech frequency, and above the highest.  In this case I low
pass filtered at about 300
Hz,  and  high pass filtered at about 3000Hz, both with a Q of about 5.
It gave a mild improvement in listenability without degrading the wanted
voice.

Your Corrective EQ tool sounds like the equivalent tool in RX.

3.Clipping.
I hear some sort of ugly distortion  on voice peaks.  Its
spectrum  goes up to at least 10kHz. I doubt it's on the
microcassette tape. Possibly when you transferred, the playback volume on
the GE was too high and
it was clipping its internal amplifier. Try lowering the GE's playback
volume to  where the clipping stops. But dont go too low as there may be a
low level noise from the GE's amplifier (the hum?) which you want the tape's
own
content to mask. Somewhere in the middle is usually the best.

You might try RX's Declipping tool but as mentioned I would first check the
distortion isnt caused by the playback/recording chain.

4.  I didnt  attempt to use a Denoiser/Dialogue Denoiser and that was
intentional.

Hope this helps Dan,

Tim Gillett
Perth,