Hi, Dan,

It is interesting that the squeal starts at the same place.

For some of these squealing cassette tapes, I've had success playing
them in the fridge a little bit above freezing.

The squeal is caused by stick-slip and is frequency modulation of the
signal and no filter can effectively remove it as the actual audio is
warbling.

One of the articles in my blog that I gave you a link to should have
been a source for D5. Are they no longer able to supply it? I didn't
think it was that expensive.

As Lou pointed out, over-wide tape can be the cause of the stick-slip as
the tape jams in the guides.

Another thing I've seen, but only with C120s was "coning" where the tape
no longer would wind flat, but built up into a shallow cone and would
then become too wide for the housing. I was able to get the tape to play
by loosening the housing screws. Be careful if the takeup side jams, you
could be in a real mess.

My now decade old ARSC Journal article introduced cold playback and
explained a bit about playing the tape below the current glass
transition temperature Tg of the coating. I had one tape confirmed to
have a Tg of about 8C. Normally it would be well above room temperature.

http://www.richardhess.com/tape/history/HESS_Tape_Degradation_ARSC_Journal_39-2.pdf

Richard