Hi Dan,

With all due respect to Richard Hess and his use of D5, I have not been
able to find any information on the long term effects of the chemical on
the tape oxide. How well will the tapes play after having been stored
for a few years after treatment with D5? Perhaps Richard can enlighten
us further on the long term storage of tapes that have been treated with D5.

Because of that concern and some regarding the MSDS issued for D5, I use
a chemical manufactured by Last Factory called "Tape Last". I have been
assured by Last Factory that Tape Last is not only safe for long term
storage but actually enhances the tape being stored over time. I have no
evidence regarding the latter. However, I have had success using Tape
Last on audio tapes suffering from varying degrees of SSS. More
information on my use of the product can be found here:
http://www.baileyzone.net/LUBRICATING%20POLYESTER%20AUDIO%20TAPE.htm

Lubricating audio cassettes (or any kind of cassette housed tape) is a
real, time consuming, PITA. For audio cassettes, I have modified a
transport and dedicated it to the process.

Cheers!

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net