D5 has lubricants and other additives and about 95% volatiles, so no big
improvement over a silicone mold release agent on that score. Of course,
never apply anything like that directly. Wet a swab first, then apply
sparingly, letting it dry for a few minutes.

 I think Richard's "order of operations" has it about right: possibly
destructive steps should be the last alternatives, not the first.

Steve

Steve Greene
Audiovisual Archivist
Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
National Archives and Records Administration
(301) 837-1772