All-as you know, we are now knee-deep in preparations for the Sept. 1 National Book Festival! :)

As we did last year, we will have a reception the evening before the festival, Aug. 31, beginning at 5pm, running until 6:30pm. It will be in the Montpelier Room, sixth floor of the Madison Building, 101 Independence Ave S.E. (same place as last year).

You will be welcomed by Center for the Book Director John Van Oudenaren and officials from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the Chief Officers of State Libraries Agencies and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

We will also make available space nearby for you to gather for the casual meeting we have been holding prior to the reception.  This will be 4-5pm.

And one piece of real news: We are changing the name of the Pavilion of the States to Parade of the States. Reason: Since moving from the National Mall to the Washington Convention Center, we have been using "stages" instead of "pavilions" to designate the various program areas for all except the Pavilion of the States. I was asked to drop "pavilion" starting this year. So I chose "parade," as it keeps the same abbreviation (POS) and (I hope) communicates the celebratory nature of this most popular of NBF venues. I am using "parade" as defined by the Free Dictionary: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/parade

5. An ostentatious show; an exhibition.
We will have the usual map brochure for kids to collect stamps or stickers.

And I have not given up on trying to offer something more meaningful to visitors that will not require them (and you) to spend a lot of time with each visitor.

Because the Parade of the States is intended to primarily promote each state's literary heritage, would you be willing to offer a 1-page handout regarding it? This could also include a brief explanation about why you chose the book you did this year. Sorry to make an assignment for you but I think it's a way to provide some "education" cheaply and with little expenditure of time.

Maybe next year (with more time to plan), we can return to the idea of some sort of literary map experience at each table.

Many thanks,
Guy