Everyone,

I'm extremely pleased to extend this invitation to join the Linked Data for Production (LD4P) Cohort.  As many of you know, LD4P has been spearheading an effort to begin the transition from MARC-based to linked data-based workflows. The initial effort has been huge for a number of core participants (Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, LC, Princeton, Stanford, University of Iowa) but we've reached a real tipping point.  The only way this transition can be successful is if we greatly expand the number of libraries participating.

In this next phase of LD4P, we will be partnering with the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC).  With their helpful guidance and efforts in areas such as policy development and training, we feel we are ready to reach a much broader audience. As Lori Robare noted in her email, a cloud-based sandbox will be created for all PCC members to experiment with the creation of BIBFRAME-based metadata.  But in addition, a subset of PCC libraries will be chosen to take part in a Cohort who will receive much more intensive training in using the cloud environment and who will have subgrants of $50,000 available to help them in their own linked-data transition.

A full description of the Cohort, along with an explanation of how to apply to join, is attached to this message.  Proposals will be due by August 13, 2018 and notifications will be sent out by September 10, 2018, with a first meeting of the Cohort at the Library of Congress on October 15, 2018.

All proposals can be sent to me at Stanford and please feel free to contact me as well if you have any questions.  It's a very exciting time!  I hope to hear from many of you and to work with most over the next two years.

All the best

Philip

Philip E. Schreur, PhD

Associate University Librarian for Technical and Access Services

Stanford University

Green Library

557 Escondido Mall

Stanford, CA 94305-6004