Everyone,

First, I want to thank you for your interest! The number of requests for information have been very promising. You all have asked for some very relevant clarifications, however. Although I have responded individually, I thought I might respond here as well so that everyone will have the same information.  Again, thanks so much for your interest!  We very much look forward to what you have to propose.

All the best

Philip

  1.  May proposals be submitted electronically? Yes! In fact, this is the preferred method.
  2.  Do you need to be a PCC member to be a part of the PCC Cohort? PCC members will be prioritized.  Data creation will be done making use of BIBFRAME according to PCC standards. Training will also be done through the PCC and LC.  And so it makes sense to prioritize PCC members. However, given the wide interest, we are considering ways that a broader range of institutions might participate.
  3.  Is the August 13th deadline for application a hard one? We have a very short period in which to select Cohort members. If for some reason you cannot make the deadline of the 13th, be sure and let me know ahead of time.  There is no guarantee that we can accommodate but we will try.
  4.  Do we need to request the full $50,000 in our budget proposal? No, any amount up to $50,000 is fine.
  5.  Is there grant money for travel outside of the $50,000 subgrants? No, you should calculate costs to the meetings in your proposal budget.
  6.  Is there a particular format required for the budget? No.
  7.  How will the sub-grants be distributed?  The sub-grants will be distributed through Stanford.
  8.  Do matching costs need to be reflected in the budget? No.
  9.  Is there an expected staffing requirement? No, this will be dependent on your project.
  10. Is there a minimum production expectation? No, this will be dependent on your project.
  11. Do the names and CVs of everyone involved need to be included with the proposal? No, the primary members are sufficient.
  12. Is there any required local technical development? No, you won’t need any technical development to use the cloud environment.  If, however, you wish to download data to your local environment and make use of it there, that development will be up to you, and is a legitimate use of the subgrant.
  13. What data are you hoping to get from participants? As we hope to experiment with “copy-cataloging,” we are hoping for a complete representation of your MARC data, along with updates that you may add over the course of the grant period.
  14. May MODS data be submitted for conversion as well as MARC? Not at the present time.  Although we hope to be able to convert MODS to BIBFRAME before the end of the grant, that capability will not be available initially.
  15. What is the connection between LD4P and SHARE-VDE? SHARE-VDE offers a conversion/reconciliation service for your MARC data.  We are hoping Cohort members will make use of them so that the data can be consistently converted and reconciled, and that consistent work identifiers will be generated.  This is not a requirement, however. Currently, I am negotiating with Casalini/@Cult to offer this service to the Cohort as a whole so that members would not have to budget for it individually in their proposals.
  16. Will there be a pipeline between the SHARE-VDE conversion service and the data cloud? Yes.
  17. Is there a required ontology? The LD4P Cohort will be making use of BIBFRAME for consistent exchange and use of data. The data cloud, however, is not restricted to BIBFRAME.
  18. Who may use the data cloud? The data cloud will be open for international use.
  19. How long is the Cohort expected to participate in the grant? The expectation is that the Cohort would be working with the grant through its expiration date of June 30, 2020.

Philip E. Schreur, PhD

Associate University Librarian for Technical and Access Services

Stanford University

Green Library

557 Escondido Mall

Stanford, CA 94305-6004