Hello. We are pleased that Letters About Literature (LAL) will continue for the 2018-2019 program year. As you know, over the past 27 years, the program has had to make adjustments and we are in another period of change. There are several items I want to call to your attention for 2018-2019. You may feel free to use the following wording to communicate with your LAL community.

This year, the Library of Congress is implementing an online submission platform. In order to be compliant with the federal law - the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) - submissions can only be accepted by students age 13 and older (as of Nov 1, 2018). There will now be two levels at the national level:

*         Level 1 - grades 7-8

*         Level 2 - grades 9-12

The activity of having students participate in an authentic writing activity is invaluable. Elementary teachers accustomed to submitting entries for students under the age of 13 may still incorporate the LAL program materials into the curriculum.

If your State Center of the Book is interested in accepting physical letters for students under the age of 13 for a state-level program, you may decide to do so.  It cannot be called Letters About Literature though you can combine your state level celebrations. As several states have expressed interest an under-13 program, CFB staff will host a webinar to facilitate that discussion.   More information about that webinar will be forthcoming.

The Changes in LAL Program:

*         Online submission platform - will open 11/1/18

*         Contest open to students 13 (must be 13 by 11/1/18) and older. There will now be two levels:

o   Level 1 - grades 7-8

o   Level 2 -  grades 9-12

*         Word Count instituted

o   400 word minimum

o   800 word maximum

*         All permissions will be granted at submission point

*         National Prizes - for each level

o   first place $2000

o   two honorable mentions at $500 each

*         National celebration being planned for July 2019 at Library of Congress

*         State competitions - minimum prizes to be awarded - $100 to first place in each level

*         We are not creating a "coupon" for physical submissions. If your teachers or students decide to submit physical entries, they must send them to your designated address and you will be responsible for entering them into the online submission database.

State Funding Equation

Depending on State Status, your funding will be:

Base Amount + Range of Participation (from 2017-18 program year) = Grant

State Status Defined

*         Non-participating - will accept entries for national contest. Will make clear at submission point that there is no state level program.

*         Participating - Library judges round 1 and round 2, state handles state level judging

*         Round 2 - Library judges round 1

*         Self-managing states - receive and process all state entries

Depending on State Status, your funding will be:

Base Amounts

Base Amount

Participating

R2 State

Self-Managing

Awards

$200

$200

$200

Marketing

$400

$400

$400

Administrative

$300

$500

$1000

Total

$900

$1100

$1600

And "Range of Participation" breaks down to

0-99 (Z)

100-500 (A)

501-1000 (B)

1001-3000 (C)

3001-10000 (D)

Participating

Round 2

Self-Managing

Base

$900

$1100

$1600

Entries 0-99 (Z)

Entries 100-500 (A)

$100

$200

Entries 501-1000 (B)

$200

$300

Entries 1001-3000 (C)

$400

$500

Entries 3001-10000 (D)

$600

$700

Based on last year's ranges, your state's status from last year appears below.

Key:

Red font - Non-participating State

Plain Text - Participating

Yellow Highlight- R2 State

* - Self-managing State

 TOTALS

Participating

Round 2

Self-Managing

States Meeting Criteria

Base

$900

$1100

$1600

Entries 0-99 (Z)

KS, DE, ND, SD, PR

Entries 100-500 (A)

$1200

$1800

AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO*, HI, ID, KY, MO, MT, NC, NE, NV, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, WY

Entries 501-1000 (B)

$1300

$1900

DC, GA, LA, ME, MS*, NH, NM, TN*, WI, WV

Entries 1001-3000 (C)

$1500

$2100

CA, CT, FL, IA, IN*, MA, MD, MI, MN*, NJ, NY, PA, TX, VA, WA

Entries 3001-10000 (D)

$1700

$2300

IL*, OH*

Program Collateral

We are currently working on building the collateral for your back-to-school mailings and other promotional efforts. To review the official program rules that will be incorporated, please see attached PDF. As a reminder, we are not creating a "coupon" for physical submissions. If your teachers or students will send physical entries, they must send them to your designated address and you will be responsible for entering them into the online submission database. You will have space available on the collateral we create to put in your state specific information.

As I've mentioned, we have four videos to release geared for students participating in the program. Due to the lateness of the rule change, we must rework two of the four videos. All four videos will be released by September 1, 2018.  Additionally, we will build videos for teachers and students to use submittable for their entry submission(s).

Next Steps

You will need to determine your state status and deadline (either Dec 14, 2018 or Jan 11, 2019) for the 2018-2019 program year. By August 3, 2018, please register your state at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LAL_2018_2019  If you have any questions, please call me at 202.707.8545 your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Kathy McGuigan
Educational Outreach | @TeachingLC
202-707-8545   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

[cid:3424435564_5194003]