I believe that there’s a difference between “authenticating a BIBCO record” and “describing a resource according to the BIBCO standard.” Using “BSR for guidance” is exactly what I meant, namely, taking into account of core elements of RDA and LC/PCC instructions, even if one does not authenticate the bib itself, for one reason or another.

Yang

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert J. Rendall
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Updating UT/expression language authorities

I believe the parenthesis (if authenticating) refers to the situation described in this paragraph on page 3 of the same document:

"Catalogers not authenticating their records for BIBCO may use the BSR for guidance but should also ensure that their records comply with any additional standards relevant to their particular situation where these vary from PCC requirements. In these records, some data required in BIBCO records will not be appropriate and should not be included (e.g., 008/39=“c” and 042=“pcc”)."

I wouldn't read anything else into it.

Robert Rendall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Original and Special Materials Cataloging, Columbia University Libraries

102 Butler Library, 535 West 114th Street, New York, NY 10027

tel.: 212 851 2449  fax: 212 854 5167