I suggest that the "best practice" is to ignore RDA and determine how the author uses his/her name in practice.  In the good old days of cataloging, it was assumed that an author stayed put in one country, so if the author was Dutch, the author's "entry element" was based on the well established practice in the Netherlands.  But today, author's migrate, the Spanish author might get a doctorate in Belgium, and settle down to work in England, and after a few years get a job in Brazil or Germany.  It should not for catalogers to tell authors how their names are alphabetized.  One can look at the faculty directory of the institution they are affiliated, or Facebook, or LinkedIn, or other works they control, and determine the author's preference.  One can check the catalog of a library at an institution where the author has a connection (on the theory that a professor whose name is messed up in the catalog will complain to the librarian)  In the 21st century we should resign ourselves to needing to figure out the author's preference and usage, and regard arbitrary rules as a relic of past cataloging practice.

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Diana Slaughter
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Separable prefixes in fuller form qualifiers for given names

I would like to know how others are handling fuller form qualifiers for given names when the names contain "separable prefixes" (e.g., de, van). I'm finding conflicting information and examples. At present, I'm handling a lot of Dutch titles, so I'm encountering names with initials and prefixes frequently.

The examples in Maxwell's Handbook for RDA, 2013, p. 273 suggest that omitting prefixes from qualifiers is the way to go. Excerpt:
5. Fuller forms of names with separable prefix:
100 1 Freitas, J. Garcia de (José Garcia)
100 1 Aalderen, H. J. van (Herman Jan)

RDA 9.5.1.3 says " ... record, as appropriate: a) the fuller form of all the inverted part of the name (given names, etc.)." I don't see any examples in RDA comparable to those in Maxwell. Is this saying to include everything to the right of the comma of what would be coded Marc subfield a? If the prefixes are to be included in the qualifier, presumably one would do this:
100 1 Aalderen, H. J. van (Herman Jan van)
400 1 Van Aalderen, H. J. (Herman Jan)

Not surprisingly, example in NAF are mixed.

Thank you.

Diana Slaughter
Law Library
The University of Michigan