Dear CFB Friends,

It appears that our meeting next week will be mostly about LAL.  So I wanted to take this opportunity to share two Literary Landmark initiatives for 2019.

Literary Landmarks for Children's Book Week 2019 April 29 – May 5, 2019

2019 will mark the 100 Anniversary of Children's Book Week.  It years past we (Centers for the Book) have tried to coordinate a series of children's literature sites to be dedicated during Children's Book Week.  It is not too early to begin thinking of possible sites in your state that would be appropriate for such recognition.  It would be great to work towards five site throughout the nation to be dedicated during that week.

LGBT Literary Landmarks for the 50th Anniversary of Stonewall

In New York we have begun speaking with the NYC LGBT Historic Site Project about working together in dedicating LGBT Literary site(s) during the month of June in honor of the 50th Anniversary of Stonewall.  As with the CBW project, it would be great if we could coordinate a series of sites throughout the country to be dedicated in June 2019.

Having done several Literary Landmarks throughout New York State, I have found this project an excellent vehicle  to publicize the Center for the Book.  In addition, it has helped forge partnerships with a diverse group of organizations who in turn have become friends of the Center for the Book.

I would be happy to answer any questions either via email or in DC during the festival.

Just wanted to have you folks put on your thinking caps.

See you all next week.

Rocco Staino
Empire State Center for the Book