NLS Operations Alert

No. 18-67

DATE          :    August 31, 2018
TO                :    Network Libraries
FROM         :    Meredith Beckhardt, Head, Reference Section
SUBJECT   :    New documents released in August 2018

The following new or revised documents are available from NLS:

On the NLS website<http://www.loc.gov/nls>:
Assistive Technology Products for Information Access, 2018, ebraille (.brf)<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Assistive-Technology-Products-for-Information-Access.brf>
Bibles and Other Sacred Writings in Special Media<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/CR010Bv01.brf>, 2018, ebraille (.brf)
Blindness and Visual Impairments: Information and Advocacy Organizations<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Blindness-and-Visual-Impairments.brf>, 2017, ebraille (.brf)
Braille Displays and Notetakers<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/CR029Bv01.brf>, 2018, ebraille (.brf)
Digital Audiobook Players<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/CR032Bv01.brf>, 2018, ebraille (.brf)
Directory of Producers of Accessible Reading Materials<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DI017Bv01.brf>, 2017, ebraille (.brf), Volume 1 of 2
Directory of Producers of Accessible Reading Materials<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DI017Bv02.brf>, 2017, ebraille (.brf), Volume 2 of 2
Factsheet: The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Factsheet.brf>, 2018, ebraille (.brf)
Hoja Informativa: Servicio Macional de Bibliotecas para Ciegos y Personas con Discapacidades Fisicas<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Hoja-informativa.brf>, 2018, ebraille (.brf)
Magazines in Special Media,<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BB007Bv01.brf> 2017, ebraille (.brf), Volume 1 of 2
Magazines in Special Media<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BB007Bv02.brf>, 2017, ebraille (.brf), Volume 2 of 2
Video Gaming Accessibility<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/CR039Bv01.brf>, 2017, ebraille (.brf)
Overseas Outlook, January-June 2018<https://www.loc.gov/nls/about/news/overseas-outlook-newsletter/overseas-outlook-january-june-2018/>

On the Network Library Services website:
Magazines Produced by Network Libraries<https://www.loc.gov/nlsold/networkdocs/networkmagazines.html>

At the multistate centers:
Bibles and Other Sacred Writings, 2018, print, CR010
Bibles and Other Sacred Writings, 2018, braille, CR010B
Braille Book Review, July-August 2018, print, CA6184
Braille Displays and Notetakers, 2018, print, CR029
Braille Displays and Notetakers, 2018, braille, CR029B
Braille Embossers, 2018, print, CR011
Braille Literacy, 2018, print, CR030
Digital Audiobook Players, 2018, print, CR032
Materials in Large Print, 2018, print, CR001
NEWS, January-March 2018, braille, MS4145B
NEWS, April-June 2018, braille, MS4146B
Video Gaming Accessibility, 2017, braille, CR039B

We are pleased to announce that the NLS Studio recorded an audio file (.mp3) of our Blindness and Visual Impairments: Information and Assistance Organizations Reference Guide. Please contact Meredith Beckhardt for a .3GP audio file (NLS format) if you would like to download this Reference Guide onto a cartridge that has navigation markers. We hope to create a few more audio files of our more popular Reference Guides over the next year.

BONUS: NLS received 15 braille copies of each of the 2018 editions of "What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits" and "Retirement Benefits" from the Social Security Administration. If you are interested in a copy, please contact the Reference Section.

For your convenience when ordering publications, please find attached a list of all current Reference Section publications with their stock numbers.

For more information, contact:
Meredith Beckhardt
Head, Reference Section