From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Robert M. TALBOTT
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Works extant in citations only

Hello folks:

Euhemeris was a Greek author who wrote a book a while back called "Heira anagraphe (commonly referred to in English as "Sacred history")." The book is mostly lost, being extant only in descriptive citations from the likes of Kalimachus, Diodorus, and others.

Why do I care?  I have a book here at my desk that offers criticism and interpretation of this work, and it seems a reasonable thing to have a subject heading

60000 Euhemerus, of Messene, active 4th century B.C. Sacred history

Question 1: Can we really call Euhemerus the author if the only extant portions of his book exist in the quite likely pitched citations of other authors?  It's a lot easier to call him the author, and that's exactly what I plan to do, but considering that I don't get into this end of the pool too often it would behoove me to check with  those who have a bit more experience.

Question 2: There exists an authority

010  no2009040253

1000 Euhemerus, ǂc of Messene, ǂd active 4th century B.C. ǂt Fragments

4000 ǂw nnea ǂa Euhemerus, ǂc of Messene, ǂd 4th cent. B.C. ǂt Fragments

4000 Euhemerus, ǂc of Messene, ǂd active 4th century B.C. ǂt Euhemeri Messenii reliquiae

667  THIS 1XX FIELD CANNOT BE USED UNDER RDA UNTIL THIS RECORD HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND/OR UPDATED

670  Euhemeri Messenii reliquiae, 1991.

I glanced at the book cited in the 670, and the citations here aren't just  Heira anagraphe but also bits about the author himself which he did not write.  My question then, for the work I'm cataloging: is it appropriate to ignore this authority and construct one specifically for "Sacred history"?  Or is it possible that this authority either intentionally or unintentionally represents ALL fragments by or related to Euhemerus?

I apologize for tossing this one out there among you all, but getting feedback from others with more experience in this is clearly the right path.

Thanks for any input you all might have.

Cheers

Bob Talbott

Principal cataloger/Hebraica cataloger

UC Berkeley

250 Moffitt

Berkeley, CA 94720

If they're too small for court, they're probably shorts.

If they're long and advanced, you're looking at pants