On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 21:22:37 +0000, Policy and Standards Division <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Sorry, I have to correct myself because I hit "Send" instead of "Save" when I was in the middle of working my way through this. Everything I said is correct until "With that in mind, I have updated this NAR without changing the 100 form, including recoding it to RDA and providing more references."  In thinking thorough the issue of which language form would be correct for the title of nobility, I forgot what was in the 1XX was actually neither French nor German--it uses an English term of rank with the French particle and unfortunately, that's just wrong.  So I've update the 100 to use the German title of nobility and make 4XXs using the French title too.   Although the 100 form "Pourtalès, Albert, ‡Count de, 1812-1861"  isn't correct, the fact that a cataloger thought it should be the heading is a good signal that it's worth keeping as a variant.
>
>Kate
>
>Kate James
>Policy and Standards Division
>Library of Congress

Thank you. That is basically what I was trying to say with my much more verbose reply. (I get this list in index form and sometimes don't see new replies until after I've posted.)

The former AAP is correct as a variant because it is the usage on the item the cataloger had in hand, even if the cataloger hadn't chosen it as the heading.

I don't see the changed heading yet, but I take it the new AAP will be "Pourtalès, Albert, Graf von, 1812-1861"?

Kathie Coblentz | The New York Public Library
Rare Materials Cataloger
Special Collections/Special Formats Processing
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
476 5th Avenue, Room 313, New York, NY 10018

My opinions, not NYPL's