From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Superheroes - profession/occupation or other distinguishing characteristic?

Hi Collective Wisdom,

I’m establishing the name of a superhero.  I’m wondering where to record the attribute that the person is a superhero.  In LCSH we have the heading Superheroes.  In NARs for individual superheroes, that has been recorded in either 374 (profession/occupation) or 368 $c (other attributes of person or corporate body).

RDA 9.16.1.1 has this definition: profession or occupation: A person's vocation or avocation

RDA 9.6.1.1 has this definition: other designation associated with person: A term other than a title that is associated with a person

Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary has these definitions:

vocation 2 a : the work in which a person is employed : occupation  b : the persons engaged in a particular occupation

avocation 1 : a subordinate occupation pursued in addition to one's vocation especially for enjoyment : hobby   2 : customary employment : vocation

Is being a superhero a vocation or avocation?  My inclination is that it is not, and I should record Superheroes in 368 $c:

368 ## $c Superheroes $2 lcsh

Please discuss!

--Adam Schiff

Adam L. Schiff