The key is the definition in RDA, that specifically says that the element “profession or occupation” includes vocations and avocations.  As someone else (I’m afraid I can’t recall who) early on in the development of RDA said to me to explain, “occupation” is something with which one is occupied, so it can include avocations.

Adam Schiff

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Gordon Marr
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 1:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Superheroes - profession/occupation or other distinguishing characteristic?

Depends upon how you define terms (which RDA doesn’t):

“Occupation” can be understood to be a “fairly permanent trade, profession, employment, business, or means of livelihood.”

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/occupation

  "The term occupation would commonly be understood to refer to the income producing activity to which a person devotes the major portion of his time and from which he derives the major portion of his income."

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/O/Occupation.aspx

John G. Marr

Collections

Zimmerman Library

University of New Mexico

Albuquerque, NM 87010

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**

                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but sharing is permitted.