And keep in mind that if a different form becomes the commonly used form, the authorized access point can (and should) be changed to reflect that.  So the form found on the dissertation title page isn’t set in stone forever and ever.

Adam Schiff

University of Washington Libraries

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deborah J. Leslie
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Form of name

It can be tricky basing the preferred name on a title page of a dissertation; many universities require one's full legal name to appear, no matter how hated that middle name might be. I'd be inclined to track him down and ask his preference.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | [log in to unmask] |