These are really interesting questions!  We're pulled in two directions. On
the one hand we want to protect people's privacy (and safety in some
cases), which can indeed imply not giving a real name for someone writing
under a pseudonym. On the other hand, scholars looking into the works of a
person are not well served by a research tool which deliberately avoids
associating works written under a pseudonym (Robert Galbraith)  with a
known author (J.K. Rowling) by recording no connection between the names.

Likewise scholars working in gender studies would be ill served by a
research tool which reported the works of George Eliot and George Sand as
works by men and works by Madeleine Brent (pseudonym of Peter O'Donnell)
and Margaret Cooke (pseudonym of John Creasey) as works by women. Better
not to indicate gender at all than to indicate an imaginary one. But then,
does avoiding gender statements ill serve scholars working in gender
studies?

Is the catalog an inventory access tool or a research tool? These two
functions carry different obligations to our users.

As my thinking on this topic evolves, it's becoming less about how we
regard private individuals and more about our expectations of public
personas as creators of works. We want to recognize the authenticity of the
works of a person who writes from a given vantage point in terms of gender
or race or cultural heritage. But that entails an expectation that persons
creating works have understood the kind of exposure and scrutiny they may
be subject to from  the receiving culture. In online culture there are
domains where relative anonymity is widely accepted (all those secret dogs
on the internet) and one's authority derives from the statements made under
a disembodied handle. There's a kind of virtue to that kind of authority,
but also a proven risk of deceptive practice in self representation. How
can we know the things about a creator of works which authorize and
validate their creations without knowing things which may compromise their
privacy or potentially put them at risk? Is secrecy the only protection
from such risks?

These are very deep waters.

Stephen

--