But is "George Sand" truly a man? Note this from "Histoire de ma vie, par
George Sand": "Je suis née l’année du couronnement de Napoléon ..." with
the feminine ending on "née." Many images of "George Sand" in the early
stages of his/her career show him/her in clothing that combines masculine
and feminine attributes, thus participating in the gender fluidity
characteristic of the a certain artistic set during the July monarchy
(compare Gautier's "Mademoiselle de Maupin"). Was anyone other than
bourgeois shopkeepers ever taken in by the masculine charade?

That said, the question of birth and death dates is different from the
question of gender, certainly. But if "George Sand"'s birthdate is the same
as that of his/her alternative ("real"?) identity, Amantine-Lucile-Aurore
Dupin, do we need to distinguish the two?

And what about more obscure figures, who participated in various in-print
and "real-world" identities and masquerades... Who is served by nailing
down the distinctions and firming up the boundaries?

Bob Steele
GW Law

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:47 PM, McDonald, Stephen <[log in to unmask]