From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Benjamin A Abrahamse
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 10:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Draft versions

Collective cataloging brilliance,

We sometimes receive (as gifts) final draft versions, and sometimes the galleys, to published books in our collections. Our selectors like to have them sit on the shelves next to the published version. My general approach is to catalog these on their own records and give them the same call number as the published version, adding a “d” to the date.

Usually, of course, the draft has the same title as the published verison. I can use a uniform title to distinguish, but my question is: if I’m going to add a uniform title (130 or 240) would I use $s (version) or $g (miscellaneous) to hold the term, “Draft,” etc.? And does it come before or after $l (yes, I have a draft version of a translation).

Any advice appreciated,

Benjamin Abrahamse

Cataloging Coordinator

Acquisitions & Discovery Enhancement