I just tried that, Marie, and it worked for me.  But the photos look like
tape where the oxide has mostly been scraped off already.  In my
experience, a typical sticky shed tape looks a lot like any other tape,
although very often they are black back-coated tapes, as opposed to brown
tapes.  If the oxide is intact, there is not much to see that will tell you
it has a sticky-shed problem.  But when you try to play it, you learn
pretty fast.  And after cleaning up a machine that has the goo all over it,
you quickly learn some respect for the bad tape.  You should never try to
play such a tape without baking it first.

Best,
John Haley