Peter,

Is it possible that the plastic parts that decayed were the cause of the
problem? I had a toolbox where several tools were horribly corroded and
the only culprit I could find was what used to be a screwdriver handle
that had totally decayed.

This was about 25 years ago and I don't remember which screwdriver it
was (you know how you inherit these things from your grandparents <sigh>).

So if these parts broke down and outgassed, they could self-destruct and
also damage/corrode adjacent parts.

What did John Glenn say about sitting on top of everything made by the
lowest bidder?

Cheers,

Richard