I have been thinking about this. I accept the "free cheese" analogy, but
I still find that Facebook provides a useful but very different
communications channel for interaction.

The interactions on Facebook are very different than those on the ARSC
(and other) mailing lists. Especially since images, audio, and video are
an integral part of the stream.

It does take a good deal of management and selective "following" to
provide a manageable and interesting news feed in Facebook.

I think that there are some people in audio -- who I think we wish to
stay connected with -- who find Facebook an easier mode of
communications. It seems that AES's inclusion of women and students and
especially John Krivit's high-density push to involve these sectors of
our population has changed the face of AES.

Yes, in the 1970s and 1980s there were a few notable women in AES, and
Elizabeth Cohen was even President, if I recall correctly, and Marina
Bosi of Dolby made a credible appearance at several conferences.

The amazing Jessica Thompson is organizing the archiving stream at AES
NY and she has put Alexey Lukin of iZotope and me together in a session
(her idea) to talk about noise reduction. Alexey will be talking about
noise gates and other post-production tools (basically his Culpeper
presentation) and I'll be talking about all (most?) of the schemes that
are processing based (i.e. encode-decode) from equalization to Dolby
SR...and discussing John Dyson's and my plans for a software compander
decoder package.

Oh, and I just found out via Facebook that cousins from Wilmington, NC
on the coast have safely arrived at other cousins' home near Raleigh.

Different tools serve different purposes for different people. I have
chosen to be flexible.
On my phone: Phone, SMS/MMS messaging, email, Facebook, Facebook
Messenger, Skype, and WhatsApp.
I have accounts with Twitter (rarely, rarely use except to follow local
power outages) and LinkedIN (used as a master business contact phone
book which others keep up-to-date for me, almost no messaging).

WhatsApp is an interesting study in how communications pathways can
grow. A new friend I made in Culpeper uses that for text and chat and
prefers it, so now I have it. We are helping each other with grant
proposals at the moment. We actually communicate privately via Skype,
Facebook Messenger, email, and WhatsApp. We both post to Facebook from
time to time.

It was interesting, when I signed up with WhatsApp, I discovered both my
sons have accounts.

Cheers,

Richard