Hi Richard, Steve and the rest of the ARSC community.

I have gotten quite a number of personal replies to my post stating that
we should have a facebook page. These were people who were not
comfortable with replying to my post on the ARSC list-serve for the
whole community to see. Two examples:

"THANK YOU, John! I think that's the whole point of having another
platform for discussion-- to reach individuals of different demographics
who might not yet know about us who might be interested in joining".

"Thank you, thank you, and thank you"

These people and all the other direct replies were from younger people
who really felt that a facebook page was important. Most likely these
people followed the ARSC list-serve but felt uncomfortable posting what
they really felt about a facebook page, because they were new to the
community, or followed our list-serve because of the valuable
information they gained from it, but didn't feel comfortable making a
comment because of all the long-time experienced participants to the
list-serve that did not like facebook. They might have even been scared
of getting criticized if they supported a facebook page publicly. I
totally get that.

Here's a perfect example that I shared with these people.....

We have an exchange program here, where students studying at the George
Eastman Museum's Film Preservation Program, work with my company part
time. Most of them are interested in audio preservation as well. Most of
them know of and follow AMIA. None to date have heard of ARSC when they
first started working here. All of them use and follow facebook on a
regular basis. If the George Eastman Museum's Selznick School facebook
page "liked" the ARSC page, there's an immediate connection that all
these students could make with ARSC. All of them since working at our
place, now follow ARSC quietly.

That's just an example.......

Many who are getting to know ARSC - many of them younger people or
people who are just starting out in audio preservation or collecting,
may not be comfortable posting to the list-serve. It's daunting. Having
a facebook page where these people could connect, make friends, share
thoughts and ideas with each other directly, may spur them to becoming
more involved with the ARSC organization.

I joined ARSC and AMIA at about the same time. I was very lucky to have
both ARSC and AMIA both come to Rochester, NY for their annual
conference within a year of each other. I greatly respect AMIA but
honestly, the people at the ARSC conference were much more open and
welcoming. Steve Smolian - you asked me to join your table for both a
lunch and a dinner without even knowing me. I will never forget that.
You were warm, friendly and made me feel a part of the group. For people
who are younger, an ARSC facebook page goes a long way to doing that
same thing. Steve, I'm totally in your camp. I would rather live in the
world that I grew up in, without all of this computer driven social
media "crap". But this is the world we live in. You have the chance to
become "facebook friends" with someone younger you can inspire. A
portion of their world includes social media and they might never
connect with you without something like facebook. You have the chance to
effect young people you would never have the chance to connect with, if
it wasn't for something like facebook. I can see someone new to ARSC
becoming your facebook friend, then asking you a question directly
because they were not confident enough to post the question for all to
see on the ARSC list-serve. You could encourage them to post their
question to the list-serve so that others could benefit by their
question and explain that you have their back, in case someone made a
derogatory comment on their post.

In my world, I plan to be doing what I do for the next 10-15 years, then
I'm done. I love teaching young people how to work with other media
formats besides motion picture film. If students who work at my place
can take with them the unique intricacies and challenges of preserving
analog audio formats, they pick up skills and knowledge which gives them
an appreciation of the medium. They might even play an important role in
helping to preserve a piece of audio history in the future. I think this
is one of the goals that ARSC is ultimately all about. I think that
facebook might help bridge that gap between the "old school people" and
future generations that we pass our knowledge on to.

  From one of the members who loves the "old school" and is trying my
best to assimilate with the "new school" as best I can.

Kind Regards,

John Schroth

--
Media Transfer Service, LLC