From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Haley
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] very strange/unique decay found on u-matic

Peter,

Keep in mind that the U-Matic machine pulls the tape fairly far out of the shell when it loads it, winding it around the heads inside.  This happens more than with, say, a VCR tape.  As you know, the U-Matic mechanism has a zillion moving parts inside, and the machine I had (before I tossed it) would jam easily.  I used to keep the top cover off for this reason, so I could poke around inside to make it load and unload right.  Perhaps with this tape, the machine it was in got jammed with the tape loaded and it remained that way for a long period of time, thus holding open the door and exposing the tape guides (if they are near the opening), and the part of the tape that was outside the shell wound around the heads, to whatever did the damage.  That would be demonstrated if the remaining tape wound on the
reels inside is undamaged.   Alternatively, I suppose the tape might have
been somehow removed from a jammed machine but not wound back into the shell, with the tape laying around outside the shell, with the door somehow being held open.

What a horrible format this was.  As you probably know, finding players now that work right is a challenge.  There can't be that many of them left in the world that work well.

Best,
John Haley