Here is a link to an informative YouTube video on how to transfer DATs using a DDS drive, created by Jonathan Haynes, creator of the Datheads2Wav Yahoo group.https://youtu.be/faUh4v2VMqIThe group is still active. I think a Yahoo account is required to join, but I am a member, and would be happy to relay any queries. There is also a Dat-Heads facebook group which would be a good resource for anyone wanting to get into DDS extraction (or DAT in general).The software of choice these days is a shareware program called called WaveDat, made by a guy named Efu in Japan (3665 yen). His webpage is in Japanese, but here is a link to the Google translation page:https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://efu.jp.net/soft/wd/wd.html&prev=searchand the original page:http://efu.jp.net/soft/wd/wd.html(according to his page, the software will work with 32khz recordings.
Trying to set up one of these systems is not for the faint of heart. You will need to find obsolete drives and scsi hardware, and figure out how to get everything configures correctly. Efu's software will work on Windows 10, but you will need a computer with pci slots (unless someone has developed a scsi>usb solution),and you may need to flash your drive with newer firmware to work with audio,but once you get things up and running, it works like a charm, and you can extract audio faster than realtime. All of the aspects of this endeavor rely on outdated equipment and technology, and require a lot of digging for information, but there are still people doing it, and there are still sources of help available, if you look hard enough I had a Sony STD-5000 running on a scsi bus on an XP machine for a while, and did a number of transfers with it, mostly problem-free. (my biggest fear was getting a tape stuck inside the drive, which thankfully never happened). I have a job coming up preserving a number of DATs, but I think the requirements specify realtime transfers, so I will be using my trusty Sony R-500, and hoping none of the tapes break. I have already been informed that a few of the tapes got chewed in the station's attempts to play them, so I would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with crinkled tape playback.

-Matt Sohn