What you are experiencing is the fact that cassettes are a horrible medium
for restoration purposes.  Azimuth problems are probably all of the things
you are noting.  The azimuth setting does not always stay the same across
the tape.  I adjusted the azimuth for years on my Tascam 122Mk3, which is
doable but a PITA.  The only real solution I have ever found is to just go
for a Nak Dragon, which as Richard Hess has said to me, is the finest
cassette machine ever made.  It constantly monitors the azimuth and
corrects it, "on the fly."  It really, really works.  And its steadiness is
amazing--a well recorded cassette sounds almost like a digital recording.
Once I got it, a good many of my old cassettes became accessible to me
anew, in much better sound than I had ever heard before.  This deck is the
answer when it comes to cassettes.  It has changed my life!

Best,
John Haley