with current 32bit file-based archives i see no reason whatsoever for using
RMS normalization with a value as high as -16dBFS.

-24 or even -30dBFS would be much more reasonable for archival reasons.

noise transients would make Peak normalization equally inappropriate, for
obvious reasons.

if it's desired to make the volume reasonable for net-based playback, the
ITU1770/A85 (with a true peak limiter at -2dBFS to stop those noise
transients) would be fine.

personally, i see no reason to use normalization routines whatsoever. if
the capture level setting is appropriate to begin with, no adjustment is
necessary. unknown math processes can damage the data which was captured!

--
best
seva

www.soundcurrent.com