Hi, Gary and David,

I have pretty much given up normalizing access copies for clients
(unless they are "heroic efforts" of digging something out of mud).

For the projects I wish to adjust output level, I've been using the
iZotope RX (6, now 7) Loudness standard. I've been using ATSC A/85, but
that is only 1 dB lower than the EBU128 in the default iZotope settings.

The default adjustments are: True Peak -2.0 dB and

Integrated loudness -24.0 LKFS

This setting provides a good match between different tape programs. If
you wish to try some old cylinder recordings, I could apply it to a
couple for you to see if it works well for you.

I do like the concept of adjusting to a perception standard rather than
an electrical/waveform standard.

As an aside, iZotope RX offers Normalize and Leveler as related
functions to Loudness. However, if I'm doing more serious mastering
work, I do like some of the gain riding tools in iZotope Ozone.

Cheers,

Richard