From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mickey Clark
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] unbalanced wave form

I just noticed this issue when I recorded a 1956 Clef LP by Flip Phillips with a VRII (mono) cartridge. The link below explains why this is normal and is not an audible issue – the music sounds ok. I tried using my GE Golden Classic stereo cartridge and the wave form came out looking totally normal. I am copying a mono Perry Bechtel album today and the wave form looks totally natural so the issue is not my cartridge – I made sure the stylus was properly centered – and my tube type Heathkit pre-amp could have had a bad capacitor or tube which could have resulted in this issue.
So – It looks like there can be a solution to correct the unbalanced wave form. Just thought I’d share this if anyone runs into this – Mickey Clark

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-why-do-waveforms-sometimes-look-lop-sided

Mickey Clark
710 Westminster Avenue West
Penticton BC