Hi Karin,

Thank you for the warm welcome, and we shall indeed keep the archival community in mind!

Ron

_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 12:57 PM, Karin Bredenberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Ronald,

Welcome to this group!

Ray, thank you for your work and enjoy the vacation!

Must just make a remark that its also an important work for us in the archival community!

[log in to unmask]" class="GroupWiseMessageBody" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;">

Hälsningar/Regards
Karin Bredenberg

Karin Bredenberg
Teknisk rådgivare, metadata /Senior technical advisor, metadata
Riksarkivet/Swedish National Archives
Avdelningen för offentlig informationshantering/Public Information Management
P.O. Box 12541, SE-102 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Tel + 46(0)10-476 71 23
SMS + 46(0)70-349 74 55
riksarkivet.se

>>> Ronald Tse <[log in to unmask]> 10/25/18 7:37 PM >>>
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for Ray’s kind introduction; it is a great pleasure writing to you here.

Ray might not have mentioned but he made the recommendation to have me succeed his convenership at ISO/TC 154/WG 5, so I am forever grateful to him, his leadership and his support throughout the collaborative development of standards.

I participate in ISO/TC 154 through the liaison relationship of CalConnect, where I currently serve as Vice President, Director of External Relationships and co-chair of TC DATETIME, TC PUBLISH and TC VCARD.

It comes naturally that many of our date and time concerns come from the application user perspective, including representation of date/time elements within directory profiles and calendar information.

ISO/TC 154/WG 5 is currently working on three initiatives, including:

- ISO 34000 Date and time — Concepts and vocabulary
- ISO 34002 Date and time — Timezones
- ISO 34003 Date and time — Codes for calendar systems

In the bibliographic community, I imagine that the last document will be of most interest — in fact, Ray sent me a list of 30+ calendars given by a librarian for encoding. We work with multiple parties on these projects, including the BIPM, who defines the UTC time scale.

On the other hand, I already see proposals for extensions of 8601-2 season codes, courtesy of Andy! If there is enough interest, it could potentially serve as the basis of a new international standard and registry. For example, a number of South Asian countries use a six seasons per year instead of the typical four.

The field of date and time interoperability is not a closed case, and as you can imagine, the current projects are merely the tip of the iceberg. The completion of them will enable plenty of new work.

Allow me to take this opportunity to make a call for participation. There are few ways to participate at ISO/TC 154 work, either through nomination by your national standards body, through another liaison ISO committee, or an eligible liaison organization, such as CalConnect or OASIS (full list: https://www.iso.org/committee/53186.html)

Either way, if you’re interested, let me know.

We look forward serving the bibliographic community on your date and time needs!

Kind regards,
Ron

_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.