NLS Operations Alert

No. 18-75

DATE          :    October 2, 2018
TO                :    Network Libraries
FROM         :    Richard Smith, Chief, Network Division
SUBJECT   :    Revised application for service

NLS has revised the individual application for free library service in two areas. As NLS works to expand its patron base and share the benefits of BARD, we continue to encourage self-service and personal device use when possible. With that in mind, applicants now have the opportunity to indicate that they would like to use their personal mobile device for immediate access to braille and talking books.

We have also added a question to determine how the applicant heard about the free talking book and braille library service. Collecting this data will help us assess the effectiveness of our outreach campaign and assure the best use of education resources. Although there is currently no mechanism by which network libraries can submit this data to NLS, we hope to be able to collect it through the local circulation systems in the future.

We encourage network libraries to adopt these changes in their local applications for service, as well.

Below is the link to NLS applications for individuals in English.

NLS Application for Free Library Service: Individuals, in English [PDF: 350 KB / 4p.]<https://www.loc.gov/nls/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/application.pdf>

The Spanish application is in process.

For more information, please contact:
Richard Smith