NLS Operations Alert

No. 18-76

DATE          :    October 2, 2018
TO                :    Network Libraries
FROM         :    Meredith Beckhardt, Head, Reference Section
SUBJECT   :    New documents released in September 2018

The following new or revised documents are available from NLS:

On the NLS website<http://www.loc.gov/nls>:

Application for Free Library Service: Individuals, in English, 2018<https://www.loc.gov/nls/enrollment-equipment/apply-for-nls-service/application-in-english-spanish-and-for-institutions/>

Braille and Large-Print Calendars<https://www.loc.gov/nls/braille-audio-reading-materials/calendars/>, 2019

Dogs: Care and Feeding<https://www.loc.gov/nls/braille-audio-reading-materials/lists-nls-produced-books-topic-genre/listings-on-narrow-topics-minibibliographies/dogs-care-feeding/> minibibliography, 2018

Magnifying Devices<https://www.loc.gov/nls/resources/blindness-and-vision-impairment/devices-aids/magnifying-devices/>, 2018

Uncontracted Braille<https://www.loc.gov/nls/braille-audio-reading-materials/lists-nls-produced-books-topic-genre/listings-on-narrow-topics-minibibliographies/uncontracted-braille/> minibibliography, 2018

At the multistate centers:

Application for Free Library Service: Individuals, 2018 (FR101)

Digital Audiobook Players and Braille Book Readers, 2018, braille (CR032B)

We are pleased to announce that the NLS Studio recorded an audio file (MP3) of our Blindness and Visual Impairments: Information and Assistance Organizations Reference Guide. Please contact Meredith Beckhardt for a 3GP audio file (NLS format) if you would like to download this reference guide onto a cartridge that has navigation markers. We hope to create a few more audio files of our more popular reference guides over the next year.

BONUS: NLS received 15 braille copies of each of the 2018 editions of What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits and Retirement Benefits from the Social Security Administration. If you are interested in a copy, please contact the Reference Section.

For your convenience when ordering publications, please find attached a list of all current Reference Section publications with their stock numbers.

For more information, contact:
Meredith Beckhardt
Head, Reference Section