Occasionally when I'm setting up duplicate NAF authorities to be merged by
LC, there are cases where a preferred 1XX is in conflict with an existing
1XX or 4XX on another authority. For example, architectural model maker
Ricard Pedrero Coderch was initially established as "Coderch, Ricard
Pedrero", but later evidence favors "Pedrero Coderch, Pedrero".  That name
too was established several years later, clearly for the same person.
OCLC's audit objects if I try to change the initial authority's 100 to
match the preferred form in the later authority's 100. Each 100 form is
also matched by a 400 on the other authority. (I think the two records got
in because the later one was batch loaded from Sky River bypassing OCLC's
audit for duplicate headings. I've seen the same issue happening between LC
authorities, also batch loaded.)

I could just ask LC to do all the updating, but I'd like to save them
repeating work I've already done.

I could ask LC to delete the non-preferred authority first before I make
any changes, but I'm impatient and not sure I'd hear back from LC when the
way is cleared to update the other one.

I could modify the 100 on the authority to be deleted (e.g., add a
plausible $c qualifier), but knowing that authorities can remain in NAF
pending deletion for some while, I'd rather not make the non-preferred one
more inviting.

I could vandalize the access points on the authority to be deleted to break
the conflict (e.g., add "...$c TO BE DELETED") but that seems unwise,
especially if systems have linked to that authority,

I could add a subfield $c to the 100 of the authority to be retained as
part of the 100 change, but once the other authority is deleted, the
addition will appear unnecessary, which could be seen as setting a bad
example.

Does anyone have a best practice for these situations?

(And if anyone has conclusive evidence that Ricard Pedrero Coderch and his
co-author Pere Pedrero Carbonero (same NAF problem) should indeed be
entered under Pedrero and not their last name element, that would be
welcome too. Our resource for them is unavailable and after much searching,
I'm relying on the evidence of national library authorities from France and
Spain, not directly observed author usage to determine which heading should
be preferred.)

Thanks,

Stephen
--